Senior Manager (or Director) Environment and Safety (based on experience)
Title: Senior Manager (or Director) Environment and Safety (based on experience)
Reports to: Director General CLIA in Europe
Based in: London or Brussels
Sustainability of cruise operations is CLIA’s first priority. The Senior Manager (or Director) Environment and Safety in Europe will be responsible for advancing policies and activities that best represent the interests of CLIA members before regulatory authorities and with industry partners; the position will also support CLIA members in the implementation of new regulatory requirements in the areas of environment and safety in the wider European region, including the UK. Although regionally focused, the Senior Manager (or Director) will align as appropriate with CLIA global positions to ensure association-wide consistency on matters having broad impact.
- Supports and lead the activities of the CLIA European Sustainability Advisory Committee. Coordinates action of the Advisory Committee, ensuring CLIA members are informed and consulted on latest maritime policy developments in Europe.
- Develop CLIA position and input into technical and regulatory consultations at EU or national level, in coordination with CLIA members’ experts and with other CLIA departments.
- Represents CLIA and leads industry delegations in dealing with senior officials at regional and national regulatory agencies on safety and environmental matters. Negotiates on behalf of CLIA and its members with other stakeholders to develop regulations that are favourable to both the cruise industry and the relevant involved parties.
- Serves as designated spokesperson for the industry in relevant matters to external stakeholders, as directed by the Director General.
- Provides advice and consultation concerning areas of expertise to the CLIA team, members and partners as appropriate.
- Support the Global Maritime Policy Team in the preparation and contribution to relevant IMO activities. Works closely with the Global Maritime Policy to ensure consistency of CLIA’s positions on all maritime related issues. Serve as a liaison for IMO European Delegations in coordination with Global Maritime Policy.
- Coordinates with other associations and organisations in dealing with cruise industry matters that are also of interest to those segments of the shipping industry.
- Participates in relevant EU and national stakeholder groups and other public meetings as appropriate.
- Builds and develops close working relationships with the relevant decision makers in the EU Commission and other EU institutions, governments, trade bodies and other stakeholders to ensure communication streams that facilitate the provision of the above duties.
- BA level degree preferred, 5-15 years combined equivalent of relevant work experience and education required.
- Good knowledge of international and European shipping legislation.
- Understanding of the workings of the European Union and the various government and industry bodies which interact with these.
- Experience in presenting and explaining complex technical and operational issues in a manner that is readily understood by non-industry stakeholders.
- Background and experience in relevant aspects of shipboard operations, engineering, ship design and construction is preferred together with experience in legislative and regulatory policy direction or development at national and international levels. Previous experience with regulatory authorities (IMO / EU / national administrations), in industry associations would be an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken English is required, other European languages can be an asset.
- A strong team worker with an ability to work with multicultural teams.
- Ability to perform with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to proactively develop and implement a work plan, based on the priorities established by the organization and to manage multiple deliverables simultaneously.
- Service oriented towards our members.
- Must have diplomatic skills to facilitate compromise.
- Willingness to undertake occasional travel.
- Proficiency in MS office applications.
How to apply